Thursday, February 21, 2008

Water water everywhere...and politics!

by Maria Phillips - mariaphillips05@comcast.net

Hello, friends! Once again, I am impelled to write to you because last night I went to a most amazing presentation at the Chico Grange with terrific speakers on the issue of water. The featured speaker was Maude Barlow, a water activist from Canada with credits that won't quit and brilliant in every way. Inspiring is what she was. Just shining! I came away convinced that I'm going to channel a good part of my new watchdogginess and energies to water issues.

I wouldn't dream of trying to synthesize the events of the evening, but I'll attach the pdf flier announcing it —and wish I'd sent it earlier so you could all have joined us. And I bought Barlow's new book, Blue Covenant, now on sale at Lyon Books. I think the talks were recorded—I'd sure like to have a transcript, because all the speakers offered such important details. All of them were wonderful, mind you, but I must say that Barbara Vlamis knocked my socks off. Suffice it to say she came armed with an old water hose as visual aid and prop. If any of you were around during the 1994 local water crisis, you'll know what that coil of hose represents. Barbara spoke on local water histories and issues; Maude on global water histories and issues. Water warriors. That's what she said we were and I believe her. Water water everywhere….and that brings us to politics.

It's abundantly clear, I think, that the people that represent us at every level, city, county, state, and federal, will have tremendous impact on how we grow and what our quality of life. And we have an election or two coming up, right? And that's where politics comes in.

A few days ago, I received an email from Mike McLaughlin in response to my last report on the gravel mine, the one where I reported that Kim Yamaguchi was the last holdout in the vote against approving the mine. I got Mike's permission to forward his email on to you, and it is below. After giving it all some consideration, I've decided that I'm going to pin my hopes for the local environmental and water fortunes on Yamaguchi's opposition, Robin Huffman. I'm going to send her a little money. Maybe you want to send a few bucks too, or maybe just words of support.

With your permission, I'll continue sending you these emails, highly personal though they be. Needless to say, let me know right away if you want off my list. I don't want to clutter up your life.

Sincerely,

Maria Phillips
*****************
Below is McLaughlin's email. Feel free to contact him directly. I'm copying him on this email so you can pick up his address from there: Maria: thanks for the review. In regard to Kim Yamaguchi, I am afraid to say I am not surprised at his vote for M&T. I have known him for the eight years he has been in office. He is adamantly on the side of development, which I see as a great problem for the county. It is expected to grow 55% in population in the next decade and a half. To accommodate the growth, there will be development, but the important thing is to maintain a balance between that and agriculture. I fear Kim is not the Supervisor for that. Instead, you might want to take a look at Robin Huffman, a Paradise Town Councilwoman who is running against Kim. Go to her web site, http://www.robinhuffman.com/. you will see that among other things she wants to encourage the agricultural economy. she comes from a midwest farming family. She also wants to protect the Green Line. But she needs help, in terms of backing and financial support. I'm looking forward to having that coffee with you. Mike

No comments: